16. Things that make you really angry.
- When people (mostly Brian) don't understand what I'm trying to say, or take what I said the wrong way.
- My plans get changed/messed up.
- I get frustrated (not angry) when Lydia doesn't take a long enough nap or doesn't sleep through the night...I can't get angry at that (she's a baby), but I can get very frustrated.
Not much makes me really angry. I'm kind of like my mom - most things people do make me frustrated or "disappointed", not angry. I'm a pretty happy person, although I can lose my temper now and then. Brian's gotten the brunt of my temper at times. Most of the time, when I get angry, it's because someone important to me isn't listening to me or isn't understanding what I'm asking/telling them. When I get angry, I usually cry, which makes me more upset.
Anyway...
Tuesday Lydia and I were stuck inside all morning because it was so rainy. I didn't want to risk it and drive to the library for story time, since I hate driving in the rain (and story time is only about 20 minutes long). Lydia woke up around 6:45. I put The Wiggles on on her TV in her room and kept her in her crib. I then tried to run/walk on the treadmill, but Lydia only lasted about 15 minutes in her crib and then started screaming. I was disappointed that we didn't get to watch the Today show, since the local weather channel wanted to talk about the rain for 2 hours and didn't show the Today show! So, we ate our breakfast watching the weather channel and then I turned the TV off and listened to music while I cleaned.
Lydia is really good when I'm cleaning. She usually follows me around and "helps" or she goes off and entertains herself. Several times I went to check on her in her room and she was sitting on the floor reading her books or dancing to The Wiggles. She also likes to get into Brian's belt buckles and move them from room to room. And, of course, she pushes her baby around in the stroller. I was able to detail clean the kitchen, straighten up the living room, clean Lydia's room and my room, and clean both bathrooms - AND vacuum the whole house before 10:00!
When I was done cleaning, I tried sitting down and watching Lydia play, but she then started getting bored and was getting fussy and clingy. So, I decided to come up with some clever toddler activities for her. I must say that I am pretty good at coming up with toddler activities. When I worked in the child care center with 10 under 2-year olds, we had to constantly keep them busy with one activity after another. I could definitely entertain one little 18-month old!
My first activity (that I had hoped would last a long, long time) was the sensory tubs. I used two plastic drawers and put them on our un-carpeted floor with a towel underneath. I filled one tub with (a tiny bit of) water and the other with some rice and pasta. I put measuring cups and bowls in the water and some link toys with the pasta. Lydia really enjoyed the water. She scooped the water up and poured it into the other tub. I should have just done two tubs of water! I did learn a lesson for next time, though: don't provide pasta/rice when there is also water for sensory time - the pasta/rice get soggy and are harder to clean up!
The sensory tubs only lasted about 15 minutes. I think if Lydia had had a friend with her, it would have lasted longer (since mommy is just not that much fun). For our second activity, I put a big blanket over our card table and put a blanket on the floor to make a tent (or a fort). I put some books, her stacking toys, and her baby doll (of course) in the tent. I thought Lydia would have loved this! It was gloomy outside and it was nice and dim in the tent. I had to convince her go under the table by going in first myself. I was able to read a few books to her and sing some songs before she didn't want to be in the tent anymore.
Lydia actually "came up" with the third activity for the morning. She wanted me to follow her to the office and then walked over to her craft bin. So, I decided she could paint using the foam letters that spell her name (we have a foam alphabet puzzle that I used). I put three different colors on a paper plate and then put each letter in some paint and Lydia used them as stamps on the paper. She really enjoys painting and it turned out pretty cute.
After the third activity, it was just about lunch time, so I sat Lydia down with some lunch. Then we watched Yo Gabba Gabba and then headed off for her nap. After nap (she slept about 1.5 hours), the sun was finally shining and drying up all the rain! We headed outside for an afternoon walk with her baby doll and stroller. Lydia fell twice and scrapped up her right knee! I hate seeing the scratches on her little knee! I'm not used to this scratched-up knee stage yet.




No comments:
Post a Comment