Throwback Thursday
Throwback to that time when Lydia was just starting Preschool! Oh my goodness, this seems so long ago!
I was so blessed to be able to stay home with Lydia after she was born. I had worked at a child care center up until I was about 5 months pregnant. I then quit the center to work at home, with Leah, at our home care. A few months later, I had my first miracle child. Lydia grew up with five other babies. They saw each other 5 days a week, about 55 hours each week, for the first 15 months of Lydia's life! Lydia's infant-hood was a lot different than Gideon's has been. She had to be on a feeding schedule right away (no feed-on-demand), she had to be on a sleep schedule right away (couldn't spend 30 minutes rocking her to sleep), and she had 5 best friends from the very beginning. I was able to stay home with my baby and work full-time. It was a blessing.
After about a year and a half of running our own business, Leah and I decided to close up shop. For lots of reasons. One of them being I didn't like working five days, all day. I wanted to be more of a stay-at-home mommy - one who could go on playdates and weekday adventures. Leah was also super pregnant with Adah and decided that she, too, wanted to be more of a stay-at-home mommy. I was once again blessed by quickly getting a job (hey, I have to earn my keep) at our church's preschool. I worked 3 days a week, 4 hours a day as the teacher's assistant. I loved the ladies I worked with, and the kiddos, which is why I didn't mind leaving Lydia those three days. Let me tell you, though, that was hard! I hated saying goodbye to my baby in the mornings.
My second year at the preschool, I became the music teacher. Which means I only have to work once a week! Yippee! I didn't have to leave Lydia as often, plus I could expand my piano lesson business (which was really taking off). I love, love, love teaching music. I should have majored in music in college, but I didn't really think I'd ever make a career out of it. By my third year teaching at the preschool, Lydia was able to join me! She started going to preschool...and was in my music class on Wednesdays. I loved bringing her to work! She knew all the teachers (and was loved by all the teachers) and felt like she owned the place. Although a little hesitant at first at being away from me (especially on Fridays), she grew to love going to preschool.
I have cried at every major milestone of Lydia's. I cried when she moved from the nursery wing to the 2-year old wing at church. And then again when she moved to the wing across the hall when she turned 4. I cried when she started preschool for the first time, and when she started preschool the next year. I teared up when she went to speech therapy. She is my constant companion. We are hardly ever apart. She loves working with the babies in the nursery with my on Sundays. She runs all my errands with me. We cuddle on the couch. If I let her sleep in my bed with me, she would. I hold her and rock her when she's sick. She loves going shopping with me and helping me decide what clothes to buy. I love talking with her, drawing with her, playing games with her.
For five years she has been my constant companion (minus a couple of weekend getaways and mini-vacations). And now, she will be heading off to Kindergarten. It truly is as bittersweet as they say. I am excited for this new chapter in her life, but at the same time, I am sad that she will be away from me most of the day. I wish I could be there to help her navigate the hallways, build friendships, follow directions. I wish I could sit at her desk and help her with her worksheets. I wish I could eat lunch with her everyday and make sure she eats all her food. I wish I could stand beside her and make sure she's not bullied, and make sure she is kind to all her classmates.
I so wish I could turn back the clock and she could be my sweet little three-year old again. But, she will be off to Kindergarten on Monday. I have to let go. I have to let her make her own choices, her own friends. I have to let her learn how to get from parent drop off to the cafeteria all on her own. She has to learn to speak up for herself, to not be shy or passive.
I know she will be great. She will be great at Kindergarten, a great friend, a great student. I know that God will watch over my precious baby when I can't.
The teacher had a questionnaire for us to fill out about Lydia. One question was "What unique qualities does your child have?" We asked Lydia this question and her answer: "Jesus". This girl has everything under control.


No comments:
Post a Comment