Rainy days used to be days that I would sleep in (if I didn't have to work), stay in my pajamas all day, wrap a warm blanket around me and watch movies. I'd probably take a few naps, eat lots of popcorn, and be lazy all day long.
Rainy days now consist of me constantly trying to think up something for my 18-month old to do. Lydia's pretty good in the morning...she used to just playing on her own, watching me clean, watching the Today Show and Live with Kelly with me, eating my breakfast. But, around 9:00 or 10:00, she starts getting bored. And I start feeling guilty for watching our 4th Yo Gabba Gabba show. So, I think up clever activities for her.
When I worked at the day care and it rained (the worst days ever), we had to constantly think up something for 10 12-24 month olds to do so that they wouldn't bite, hit, push or scream. We painted, colored, played in the water table, looked through the Treasure Bag, danced, made playdough, made goop, watched the rain through the big windows, read books, went on indoor wagon rides - anything to keep these little kids busy and happy.
I don't have all of the supplies needed for these activities in my house. At 18-months, Lydia is only interested in paint or crayons for about 5 minutes. She's only interested in home made playdough for about 5 minutes. She is only interested in puzzles and books and sorting toys for about 5 minutes. What Lydia really wants to do is run around outside. But, we can't - it's raining. Lydia doesn't like to curl up on the couch under a blanket and watch movies. She doesn't really like popcorn. And she definitely doesn't like sleeping in.
This past week, on Tuesday, we usually go to Story Time at the library. It was pretty foggy and dreary outside, but I wanted to go because I knew this would be our one chance to get out of the house and my one chance to wear Lydia out for a nap. Unfortunately, Lydia decided that she was more interested in the water fountains outside of the Story Time room than actually being in the Story Time room. I was the embarrassed parent who walked out of the room with a screaming, fussy child. It would be an understatement to say that I was frustrated with Lydia...this was our chance to get out of the house and have fun (and the Story Lady had brought the parachute!) and Lydia didn't want to participate. But, I had to remind myself that Lydia is only 18 months old and doesn't understand. When we got home, I cleaned the house and then cuddled with an upset baby while watching another episode of Yo Gabba Gabba.
Luckily, in Texas, it rarely rains all day. The sun usually manages to come out for at least a little bit. And, although it's "winter", it may even warm up enough to go for a walk outside.

No comments:
Post a Comment