I have recently been on a Jodi Picoult reading kick. When Leah first started reading her books, I refused to read any, thinking them "silly". The first Picoult book I read was My Sister's Keeper. This book, of course, was very, very good (the movie, not so much). It, however, did not convince me to read the rest of her books. The main reason I started picking up Picoult's books now is because I need something to read while I am at work at the Center (during nap time). Although I love borrowing library books, I don't really like taking them to the Center, worried I would forget them.
Here is a run down of Jodi Picoult books (in no particular order) I have read and am reading (just because...):
My Sister's Keeper: This was a very interesting read. A young girl, Anna, tries to sue her parents so she can have control of her own body. Basically, Anna was born to "save" her older sister, Kate, who has leukemia. There is the troubled older brother, the parents who argue over their sick and healthy daughters, and the sisters. They have an amazing relationship. As in most (if not all) Picoult books, there is a trial. Also, as in most Picoult books, there is a twist at the end. I really enjoyed this book! I love reading books about sisters and family relationships.
House Rules: This was an interesting book. Unfortunately, Leah had told me the story before I even read it, so I knew how it ended and what the "twist" was. This didn't make it any less interesting, though. A young boy, Jacob, has Apsergers and is interested in crime scenes. There is the single mother, the younger (troubled) brother, the lawyer, and the cop. This wasn't my favorite, but it was good.
Nineteen Minutes: I really, really enjoyed this book! It was about a school shooting and bullies. There is teenage girl, a geeky boy (who is the school shooter), the girl's jock boyfriend, and the parents. I really felt bad for the troubled boy's parents. This had a sad ending, but I really liked it.
Handle With Care: This is another one of my favorites. A little girl, Willow, was born with brittle bone disease - she can break a bone because of a sneeze! This is an interesting tale of how her family handles her disease. There's Willow, her parents, her older (troubled) sister, and the mother's friend. The trial is when Willow's mother sues her best friend - her OB/GYN. The ending is sad, but I really liked this book.
Change of Heart: This book was a different read. I feel super sorry for the mother, Claire, who's husband died in a car accident, and then she remarries, only to have her daughter and second husband murdered. The murderer is on death row. Miracles start happening when he's moved to a new cell block and many people think he's Jesus. Claire's daughter, Elizabeth, needs a new heart and the murderer wants to give her his. Although the ending is sad, and it's an odd read, it was a good book.
The Tenth Circle: This book made me worry about Lydia when she gets to be a teenager. The teenage girl, Trixie, gets involved with an older boy and goes to parties she shouldn't be going to. She claims her ex-boyfriend raped her, but she can't remember most of that night. She runs off to Alaska, and her father goes after her. Not my favorite book, but, once again, interesting.
Second Glance: This is the book I am reading right now. So far, it has me hooked! It starts off in the present with a ghost hunter, Ross, who is hoping to see the spirit of his deceased fiancee, Aimee. He meets a girl, Lia, who he starts falling in love with. The main part of the book is about Eugenics in the United States - which is very sad that we used to do this. I am currently reading the "past" part - where we learn about the spirit who is currently haunting a small town in Vermont. I am really enjoying this book and can't wait to find out what happens!
I have read all of these this year. Leah, supposedly, has all Jodi Picoult's books and I will probably end up reading all of them. We met Jodi Picoult earlier this year - we went to see her read a portion of her newest book, Sing Me Home, and answered questions. Leah had several of her books signed. It is awesome to be able to meet the author of your favorite books!
No comments:
Post a Comment