Two weekends ago, I went to the public library and checked out three books: She Walks in Beauty, The Wives of Henry Oades, and Pilate's Wife. I have also been reading Jodi Picoult books at Leah's house, while working. I finished The Tenth Circle and am almost done with 19 Minutes. There have been tons of things that have kept me from reading - the one thing that I have always loved to do. But, now I make sure I read during nap time, and I always try to read right before bed. I have not had books that have kept my interest recently, which is why I decided to go to the public library. A friend's blog recommended a few books, and I love to research on amazon.com.
My favorite genre of books are historical fiction - I especially like books about the kings and queens of England. I used to only read books about Germany and the Holocaust (I loved Bodie Theone's two series). The book She Walks in Beauty, by Siri Mitchell, was about women in New York during the Gilded Age. I loved reading about a debutante learning everything she needed to know about high society - the corsets, how to eat and speak, how to catch a husband. Although I don't think I'll read another book by Siri Mitchell - her writing style was not my favorite - I enjoyed this read. The Wives of Henry Oades, by Johanna Moran, was extremely good! I couldn't put it down! I spent two nights reading this book for over two hours straight! I still can't decide what I would have done in Margaret's (or Nancy's) situation; to find that your husband had remarried, believing you had died. I loved Henry's love and adoration for his children, although I was a bit upset about how he treated Margaret on her return.
Leah has introduced me to the author Jodi Picoult. I, of course, first read My Sister's Keeper, which I loved! I was very disappointed in the movie's ending. The next one I read was Handle With Care, which was also very, very good. The poor little girl with brittle bone disease! What would I have done if I had been her mother? I always feel sorry for the siblings who are "forgotten". The brother in My Sister's Keeper, who was ignored because he had an ill sister and another sister who was suing her parents. In Handle With Care, the older daughter is forgotten because of her little sister's condition. In The Tenth Circle, I was amazed at teenager's behavior. I was never involved in the high school groups who partied, so I was shocked at what teenagers do! 19 Minutes is about a school shooting. I am having a hard time sympathizing with the main character, Josie, because I am sure she is hiding something; I just have to figure out what!
After I finish Pilate's Wife, which is about Pontius Pilate's wife (who had the dream about Jesus), I am going to get two books, one called Nefertiti and the other, the sequel, The Heretic Queen. The first is, of course, about Nefertiti, the famous wife of a Pharaoh. The second is about her daughter, who married Rameses, who is Moses' half brother. They seem like very interesting books. Plus, I'm also going to get Tracy Chevalier's new book, Remarkable Creatures. Chevalier has written one of my favorite books, Girl With a Pearl Earring. I have read all of her books and love this author!
Other than reading, piano playing has always been my passion. Lydia is starting to get more and more accepting of the fact that I enjoy playing the piano. She will usually sit and play on the floor while I play. Brian is good at knowing when I long to just sit and play for half and hour, so he'll take Lydia outside or into another room. Lydia loves to walk around underneath the piano and reach up and play the keys. She also likes to sit on my lap and bang on the piano. She won't let me play with her; she always pushes my hands away. Lorie Line's new book, Vogue, is so good! I love playing the song from TANGLED! Her second new book is Serendipity, which is full of solely her compositions. I don't usually listen to the way she plays songs; preferring to figure them out on my own and play them they way I feel they should be played. I truly hope to see her in concert again, soon! She is an amazing performer. My dream job is to play background music in a hotel, mall, store - anywhere - hours on end. How awesome would that be?!
Lydia spent the day with her grandparents and cousin Abram today. She left at 10:30 and didn't come back until 5:15 (fast asleep). She went putt-putting, to Chuck E. Cheese, and to Marble Slab (that girl loves her ice cream). She always has a blast when she hangs out with her grandparents, and loves her little cousin. This week she has started attempting to walk everywhere! She walked all the way across the room today! And, she can get up to standing without holding on to anything! I can't believe my baby is going to be one soon! It almost makes me cry! Tomorrow we are going birthday party supply shopping, leaving Lydia with Aunt Leah. I'm excited!


No comments:
Post a Comment