Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Think What You're Trying to Accomplish

I have gotten more sleep in the past 3 nights than I have since May 28, 2010 (that night I didn't sleep at all - or the night after, either). This is partly my fault and partly Lydia sleeping better.
Sunday night, Lydia went to bed by 7:30 and I was in bed by 9:30 (yeah!). I woke up around midnight to check on Lydia, since she hadn't woken up yet. She was still fast asleep, so I went back to bed. I next woke up at 3:30, amazed at how well Lydia was sleeping. I looked over at the monitor and realized it was turned off! I quickly turned it on and could hear Lydia babbling to herself in her crib. I leaped out of bed, wondering how long she had been awake, how long she had cried, and how I could have possibly turned off the monitor! She was facing the opposite way I had put her into the crib, her socks were off, and her hair matted a bit from her tears. My poor baby! I never let her cry for very long. Amazingly, she forgave me, nursed, and then slept until 5:30, so I brought her in bed with me and she slept again until 6:15.
Monday night the monitor stayed on all night. Lydia was in bed by 7:30 and didn't wake up until 12:00. I let her cry for 5 minutes (she was just whimpering), then sent Brian in there to turn her over, put the pacifier back in her mouth, and pat her a few times. She was out in a second and slept until 2:00. I nursed her, put her back in bed, and she slept until 5:30.
Tuesday night, Lydia was in bed by 7:30. I turned the monitor down while Brian and I watched HOUSE on the laptop in bed. I never remembered to turn the volume back up on the monitor. I went to bed at 9:30 and didn't wake up until 4:30. I looked over at the monitor to see the orange lights flashing! Lydia was crying! How could I have done that again?! Luckily, she forgave me, again, and I nursed her and put her back to bed and she didn't wake up again until 6:30.
I want her to start sleeping better, but I never liked the cry-it-out theories. I hate hearing my baby cry. I do want her to be able to go back to sleep when she wakes up at night, but we'll work on that gradually. I have heard that the CIO theory works and may only take a few nights...but I just can't do it to Lydia. Of course, if these two monitor accidents cause her to sleep better, than that's fine...but I didn't do it willingly!
Despite the fact that I'm sleeping longer stretches at night (6 whole hours straight - amazing!), I'm still exhausted in the mornings. I hate waking up at 6:15. I'd rather cuddle with Lydia in bed for the whole morning. I've recently realized that I'll be waking up this early until all our kids are out of the house. And by then, I'll probably automatically wake up this early! Brian says we'll force ourselves to stay in bed late. At least Brian also wakes up by 6:20 - I don't like seeing him sleeping in late while I have to get up early.

In other news...we will hopefully close on our house by early November! Yeah! The owners have accepted our offer and we are just waiting on USAA with our loan-stuff. Very exciting! We'll be in our very own home before Thanksgiving! We are planning trips to Big Lots and IKEA to look at potential furniture. And I can't wait to decorate my own home! I'm sure Leah and Jessie are just as excited.

Lydia is going to a new pediatrician on Friday for her 4 month check up (a bit late). I got tired of her previous doctor's office not being able to find us on insurance. Hopefully this pediatrician is helpful and informative. Lydia has been eating rice cereal for 2 weeks now. She is not really interested in it because it probably doesn't taste all that great. I want to add fruit to her cereal, but will consult the pediatrician first. Lydia loves snacking on banana cookies and graham crackers. She watches me eat my food and I can tell she wants to eat it too! 

Brian and Lydia sleeping when Lydia was only a few days old.

No comments:

Post a Comment