This started off as an easy, almost "vacation-like" week for Leah and me at the daycare. N would be gone all week, B was off Monday and Tuesday, J would be gone Thursday and Friday, and C might be gone either Wednesday or Thursday. We would have, at the most, 3 babies at once! However, C came in on Monday with diarrhea, after having had the stomach bug on Friday. We didn't think much of it. She only messed her clothes a few times, nothing too horrible. She came in again on Tuesday with diarrhea, but only in the morning.
Then, it happened. A threw up during her nap, then again at the table while she was drinking water. We sent her home. J threw up during nap, and then again after almost falling asleep in Leah's arms (luckily she had just put him down). Oh no! Two kids sick from the same thing after going months with never having a sickness in our class! The good thing about only having the same kids every day is that there is no illness. There may be a runny nose or two, but nothing bad that lasts a long time. In a big daycare, kids always have runny noses, are always getting fevers, diarrhea, ear infections - everything. The teachers also manage to catch whatever is going around. Sickness spreads like crazy at big daycares. But, in a contained daycare, hardly anything happens. However, C visited her cousins, who's daycare class was spreading the stomach bug. And then C brought it to us.
I thought for sure Lydia would avoid the bug. She was breastfed. Breastfed babies don't catch things like that. But, at 3 am Wednesday morning, after nursing and putting Lydia back in her crib, she threw up! Lydia's throw up is not disgusting - it's all milk - but it's still very messy! And I felt so bad for her! She would cry afterwards and look so sad. She was exhausted and slept all the time. She barely moved around and rarely smiled. She was not herself at all. It just broke my heart.
I called the doctor, since she wasn't able to keep anything down and I was worried about dehydration. I was told to bring her in. J and A weren't coming in that day, and we told B to stay home so she wouldn't get sick. We had detailed cleaned and sterilized everything in the center, but we still didn't want B getting sick. So, Leah only had C all day and I was able to take Lydia to the doctor. After being told Lydia wasn't on our insurance, and I had said I wanted her seen with or without insurance, we finally saw the doctor. Lydia wasn't showing signs of dehydration and the doctor recommended that I still try to nurse her every 3 hours, but maybe limit the feedings. If she kept throwing up afterwards, to give her a little bit of water.
We got back home and Lydia rested. I called Brian about the insurance issue and we found out that the hospital was wrong - Lydia was on our insurance. Lydia continued to throw up about an hour after every feeding. I kept her dressed in only a diaper and wrapped in a towel. Finally, after 1 am Thursday morning, Lydia was keeping her meals down and by 7:00 that morning, she was doing so much better - laughing and talking again!
But, I wasn't. Brian had gotten a little sick Wednesday night, so I let him sleep by himself in the bedroom while I slept in Lydia's room. He was feeling much better by the morning. I got sick at 4:30 Thursday morning and hoped I wouldn't throw up again. Thankfully, my mom and dad took Lydia for the morning so I could sleep and recuperate. No babies ended up coming, so Leah convinced Jessie to get off work early and then they took Lydia in the afternoon. By 2:00 Thursday afternoon, I was much better.
Finally this illness is gone! Leah never got sick and Jessie's stomach only hurt a little bit. A came back to daycare Friday, but B stayed home. So we just had A and C until 2:00, then we just had C. So, even though it's been an "easy" week with us having only a few kids, it's been a crazy week with everyone getting sick.
Today we are taking Lydia to the park, getting iphones, and then looking at more houses! I'm so glad everyone is back to normal and look forward to a "normal" week next week!
No comments:
Post a Comment