It's been awhile, but there are a few Lydia Stories that I have to write down so that I don't forget.
1. Lydia is getting to be a very good pretender. She's not yet at the point where she will pretend-play independently for a long time - we're still working on independent play. But, she's great at pretending with other people (especially Mommy and Aunt Leah). Lydia LOVES Praise & Worship time on Sundays and Tuesday mornings (when I worked at Bibleland). The teacher sings a few songs with hand motions, tells a short Bible story, and then they sing one more time. Lydia loves to sing and Lydia loves to dance/move to music. Hence, Lydia loves Praise & Worship time. She has memorized a few songs and their hand motions and will sing them to herself often.
Now here's the cool part: Lydia loves to "play" Praise & Worship time at home with whoever she can gather together to play with her. She usually likes to start off as the Teacher. She tells everyone to sit down and says, "Where are my monkeys?" (Each class has an animal name and the teacher will point out each class and the class will raise their hands or cheer.) If she doesn't think we're listening, she will say, "If you can hear me, touch your nose." (Just like the teacher at church does when the kids are getting rowdy.) Then she tells us to stand up and we will sing a song or two (the parts Lydia knows over and over again...I am trying to learn the songs so I can sing them along with her - I know two pretty well) with the hand motions. Then she tells us to sit down and will tell a story. When she wants to talk fast (and really isn't sure what to say), Lydia will babble a lot, adding in a mixture of actual words. In the last story she told, we could only pick out, "Jesus had a boo-boo." After the story, she wants us to stand up again to sing another song. Then, it is usually someone else's turn to be the Teacher. Oh, and she will turn the "music" on and off - she'll go to the tree outside or the wall and "push" a button to turn the music on.
This is her favorite pretend-play. It has everything she loves - music (even though it's pretend music), dancing/moving, and being a leader. I think she'll make a good teacher!
2. We went to the beach last Saturday and had a blast. I told Lydia on Thursday that we would be going to the beach on Saturday (she had asked where Adah was and I had to tell her that Adah was at the beach...and of course, Lydia wanted to go, too). I don't know if Lydia really knew what the beach was, but she did know that it had water. Whenever we talked about the beach, Lydia said she was going to swim in the water and would mimic swimming. I really didn't think she would want to get in the water (and was secretly worried she wouldn't like the sand, either) - it would be cold and there was a lot of it! As soon as we got the beach on Saturday (after a long car ride with Lydia constantly asking if we were there yet) Lydia wanted to get in her swimsuit and was ready to get in the water! She went right in all by herself and loved it when Brian took her out farther. She didn't care that it was barely 70 degrees outside and windy - she could have played in the sand and water all day long! We will definitely be going again!
3. Lydia tries really, really hard to communicate clearly when she really, really wants to tell us something. The other day, she was trying to tell me something but I could only work out bits and pieces of it. This did not make her happy. She wanted me to understand everything she was saying. She got so frustrated that she said, "You no listening to me, Mommy!" I told her I was listening, but that I didn't understand, could she just say it one more time? But, Lydia was already frustrated and upset. She crossed her arms and said, "Mommy....you...you...you are short! You no go on rollercoaster!" And then she stormed off. I realized that she had just told me the meanest thing she could think of - that I was too short to ride on rollercoasters (her favorite ride at Six Flags). Man, did I feel bad!
Speaking of rollercoasters, Lydia is finally tall enough (over 36 inches) to ride the kiddie coaster at Six Flags (which is actually a fun ride). There is hardly a day that passes without Lydia talking about Six Flags, a rollercoaster, or being big enough to ride on the rollercoaster. Whenever I tell her she is "little", she says, "No, I big. I big so I go on rollercoaster. Do you like rollercoaster? Are you big?" This is one of her favorite subjects to talk about.
4. Another favorite subject of Lydia's is The Fresh Beat Band. This show (that she watches on Netflix) is actually really cute and I enjoy watching them. The Fresh Beats are very energetic and always nice and have a good outlook on life. They never argue with each other and always work together to solve their problems. They sing two or three of the same songs every episode with one or two special songs. So their songs get stuck in my head and I constantly catch myself singing them. Lydia knows their songs by heart and even knows the dances. We watched her dance almost exactly the way the Fresh Beats were during one song - super cute! Anyway, the characters are Shout (the pianist), Twist (he does the DJing and rapping), Marina (drums), and Kiki (guitar/strings). Lydia loves Kiki - I don't know if it's because she's wearing a pink skirt ("like a princess"), has bangs (just like Lydia), or what, but she is Lydia's favorite. And Lydia loves to talk about Kiki and the other Fresh Beats.
Here is a typical (almost daily) conversation about the Fresh Beat Band with Lydia:
L: I like Kiki. You like Marina?
Me: Yes, I like Marina, she's my favorite.
L: Daddy like Shout. I like Kiki. Does Kiki have bangs?
Me: Yes, Kiki has bangs.
L: Does Kiki have boobies?
Me: Yes, she does.
L: Marina play the drums. What Kiki do?
Me: Kiki plays the guitar.
L: Yes, Kiki play guitar. Shout play piano.
And it goes on from there. And yes, Lydia does talk about Kiki's boobies (and mine, and Marina's, and the girl alien fighter in Wreck-it Ralph's).
And here is a super cute 3-year old Birthday Picture:

No comments:
Post a Comment