Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I've Been Dreaming of a....

(Side Note: I can't remember if I ever used the movie ENCHANTED for my one of my title quotes...but it is currently Lydia's favorite movie, so every part of it is stuck in my head all day!)

Wow, it's been awhile...I've been busy and at the same time haven't thought of anything interesting to post about. But, after tonight, I remembered why I started this blog - not because I'd have something super interesting to write about, but to keep track of Lydia. I want a place I can go back to to remember all her funny stories, her tantrums, how we dealt with certain situations, etc. 

So, a super quick recap since the last time I wrote...in pictures.








Yep, we saw Santa Claus, went to the Trail of Lights in Austin, took our family photos, and Brian and I headed off to an amazing Walt Disney World trip with my parents! It was an amazing December and end to the year 2012!

One of the best things about having a 2 1/2 year old is the vocabulary! I love, love, love to listen to Lydia talk...especially when she really concentrates on making herself understood. She is talking up a storm right now, and like all typical toddlers, she repeats what she says over and over until we acknowledge that we understood her (i.e. repeat back to her what she said). We can't get away with just saying "Yes" or "Oh, really?" anymore....she catches onto that! She wants us to really, truly understand what she is saying.
What constantly amazes me about Lydia is her ability to sing songs and to catch onto the words. She's been watching this Barney Christmas episode over and over and can now sing "Oh, Christmas Tree", "Jingle Bells" and "Up on a Housetop" all by herself and I can figure out what she's singing. She also knows all the motions to "Jesus Loves Me" and "I Thank God". She can sing the ENTIRE song called "Colored Kisses" (or as she calls it, "Daddy's Kisses")....BY HERSELF! Amazing! I love that she LOVES singing, and dancing, and reading books, and watching Disney princess movies! She's like a mini-me!
And of course, since she is almost just like me...she also has her moments. She will throw a tantrum over just about anything. One moment she's perfectly happy and content, the next moment she's screaming and crying and hitting and throwing herself down on the floor. We have learned that keeping calm and just putting her in timeout works wonders. Sometimes you just need to scream and cry. She's also quite stubborn (like both Brian and me) and will purposefully not follow directions or do what she knows she's supposed to do.
She can also get very wrapped up in her pretend play, which means we have to wait patiently for her to just get into her car seat, or walk out the door, or get ready for bed. Last Thursday as we were getting in the car after a trip to HEB, she was so wrapped up in making sure her baby doll was buckled into her car seat (yes, Baby has a car seat) just right, that she was refusing to get into her own car seat. I was ready to get home and got very frustrated with her. It's hard sometimes allowing her to do her pretend play when I really want to get somewhere.

Anyway....Lydia is no longer a baby in a crib! She's a big girl in a toddler bed! It's amazing how fast they grow and how they show you when they're ready to try something new.
I had decided a long time ago that Lydia would stay in her crib as long as she wasn't trying to climb out and as long as she was happy in it. Well, she finally realized that she can get her leg over the crib edge. She has never climbed out of her crib, but I have started worrying that, since she can get her leg over the top, she would soon attempt to get out on her own. Brian and I discussed this and decided that soon, probably in a week or two, or in February, we would transfer her to a toddler bed. Well, Lydia decided she wanted out now.
Yesterday she didn't want to nap in her crib, she wanted to sleep on the floor. So, I let her. She stayed on the blankets I put down on the floor and fell right to sleep. I even had to wake her up after 2 hours, since I had piano lessons. Then, last night she didn't want to sleep in her crib, but on the floor. We decided to let her to see how she does. She stayed on her blankets and didn't get off of them once! I heard her at 7:30 this morning and when I peeked in, she was just sitting sweetly on her blankets, waiting for me. (Plus she slept in until 7:30 - she usually wakes up by 7:00!) So, when Daddy got home from work this morning, we made her crib into a toddler bed.
Brian had to do a few adjustments, since for some reason this crib turned into a toddler bed where the mattress was still high off the ground! I didn't want my baby falling off and hurting herself! But, my handy husband was able to move things down and we figured it out! Lydia was super excited about her "new" bed! She was eager to go to sleep and try it out. We plan on getting a knob cover for her door so she can't get out during the night, but we'll see how it goes tonight. As of right now, she went to sleep just fine, staying her bed. We read her books, sang songs, said goodnight and left the room with her still awake. And we haven't heard a peep! Hopefully she'll stay in her bed when she wakes up in the morning....but we'll see.


No comments:

Post a Comment