Friday, June 8, 2012

Oh My Goodness. Everybody Behave Naturally.

Today was Day 4 of potty training Lydia! So far, it's been pretty good...not too many accidents and she seems to be understanding what we expect from her. Here's a breakdown (so that I can remember the process later).

Day 1: Tuesday
We started on a Tuesday since I taught piano all day Monday and didn't want Brian to have to deal with her all by himself.
Surprisingly, there were no accidents this day and she pretty much peed every time we put her on the potty. There were no diapers except at nap time and bedtime....the rest of the time, she spent with nothing on her bottom (just a t-shirt on). I put her on the potty at 8:30 (after exercising and a walk) for 10 minutes, and she didn't pee. I put her on the potty at 9:30 for 10 minutes, and she didn't pee. I decided that when I put her on the potty at 10:30, she'd have to sit there until she peed. Surprisingly, at about 10:25, she was doing the "potty dance" and when I asked her if she needed to go potty, she said yes. As soon as she sat down, she peed! She then made the motions to go at 11:00 and then again at 11:30. She didn't say "potty", she would just move her hands and grunt.
When she woke up from nap, she wasn't too wet, but didn't pee when we put her on the potty. The rest of the day, she pretty much peed each time we put her on the potty. Before bed, I had her sit on the potty....we sat there for TWO HOURS before she finally peed! She understood what we wanted during the day, but decided to not pee before bed. We're trying to train her that before we go outside, go in the car, or go to bed, she has to pee in the potty. She fell asleep on the potty for about 10 minutes, but I woke her up and she finally peed right before 10:00! We were pretty frustrated by about 9:30!

Day 2: Wednesday
She woke up with poop and a full diaper. I have decided that we'll first get her trained with peeing in the potty pretty regularly, before getting her to poop in the potty. Her typical schedule for pooping was in the morning or during nap....so this will be quite a feat for us.
After our walk, she sat on the potty, but didn't pee. About an hour later, she sat and peed. She did a great job going potty each time we asked her. We bought her some cute panties, but she didn't like wearing them. I don't mind that she goes around the house with a bare bottom, but I do want her to get used to wearing undies. There were no accidents on Wednesday and no problems...she peed before bed right away.

Day 3: Thursday
After our morning walk, she said she didn't need to go potty, and since the past two days she didn't pee until about an hour after our walk, I didn't have her sit on the potty....my bad. When Brian came out of the room, he asked her if she needed to go potty, she said no and then said "uh oh"....she peed a bit in her panties. Her first accident.
We decided to try an outing - to McDonald's! I had her pee right before we went out and she did a good job. We got to McDonald's and went to the play area. She was running around playing for a bit and then all of a sudden said, "poo poo". I picked her up and rushed her to the bathroom. She tinkled a tiny bit in her panties, but stopped herself. She peed in the public toilet! Yeah!
We went to Leah and Jessie's house for dinner. She was playing and having fun right before we ate, and ended up having an accident. But, she did pee in the potty right after dinner. When we got home, she was busy playing with Abram and had another accident. She, of course, has a hard time stopping what she's doing to go potty - a typical toddler trait. Three accidents on Day 3.
I found that we were getting a little lazy with making her sit on the potty every hour, since she had done such a great job the day before. I told Brian we needed to be more firm about sitting on the potty every hour, even if she doesn't pee.

Day 4: Friday
Today started off rough for Lydia. She didn't like sitting on the potty in the morning and would only pee a tiny bit each time. I think she may have needed to poop, but is too afraid to do so on the potty. When she woke up from nap, she had poop.
The afternoon went much smoother! There were several times where Lydia went off into the bathroom, sat on the potty and peed, and then called for Brian to help her wash her hands! Amazing! She did end up having an accident this evening while we were playing hide and seek with her. We constantly asked her if she needed to pee, but she didn't want to stop playing. Next time, we will stop during play to sit her on the potty so she won't have an accident. 
We ended up finding a blanket and a pillow with pee on them in the living room. We have no idea when this happened! She went most of the day with no undies on....so who knows when she did this. Oh well.
Tomorrow we're going to try another outing with her. I really think potty training is going well. She seems to understand what we expect and doesn't like having accidents. When she does have one, she always says "uh oh" or "poo poo". At least she lets us know that she had an accident. She's not afraid of the potty. She still sits on the portable potty - she's not too sure of the big one yet. This is on the fourth day and I think she's doing amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment