Thursday, May 24, 2012

Only When You're There to Catch Me

I had my second piano recital on Saturday and Brian celebrated his 26th birthday on Sunday. Here's a breakdown.

On Saturday, the house was cleaned and readied. Al and Karla Pfeiffer arrived around 2:00 to help me get ready for my recital. I only had 5 out of my 10 kiddos for the recital, which was actually good, since it was a bit crowded! I had the chairs set up in the front room, facing the piano. My kiddos started arrived right before 3:00 and we were able to get started just about on time!
All my kiddos did great! For three of them, it was their very first piano recital ever! I made my two "veterans" go first and they did great! My newbies did awesome, too! I just love watching them play and show off their skills. It always amazes me that it was ME who taught them to do that! How did I manage that?! They're all such hard workers and really enjoy showing off.

My game didn't go too well, but we still had fun!


Sunday started off great, since Brian let me sleep in to 8:15! We got ready and headed off to church for the 9:45 service. When we got home, Lydia had a quick lunch and then went down for a nap. We ate small lunches and started preparing for Brian's party. We had chicken thighs, bacon-wrapped chicken, bratwursts and corn on the cob to prepare. Nellie brought Culver's onion rings and cheese curds. We had queso and chips. Fruit salad (in the shape of the American flag), watermelon and carrot cake. We had a TON of food! Loved it! And most of it was eaten!
We had 17 people over at the house and we had a blast. Everyone showed up around 3:00 and started eating and chatting. The kiddos had a good time playing together in the yard. Lydia surprised me and chowed down on the cheese curds! Sara and Michael gave Brian some yard games and we started playing it. I have no idea what it's called, but it's a ton of fun. When I tried (I'm not very good - no surprise there), I have the funniest look on my face!


Leah, of course, was a pro immediately. Everyone had a blast playing and Brian and I enjoy playing on our own, too. I need to practice to work up my skills!


Brian got lots of good presents and had a blast. He received a dehydrator to make his own beef jerky from his parents (they tried it out Sunday morning). The American flag-shaped fruit platter was from my mom, plus a pineapple, peaches, and more beef jerky. Lydia and I gave him two new cups to take to school (one with Super Dad written on it). Leah and Jessie gave him a shirt that says "Bacon Makes Everything Better" - so funny!
My favorite thing about birthdays is that it is a chance for everyone to get together and show how much they love Brian. The birthday boy (or girl) should be surrounded by people who love them! And Brian definitely seemed loved!

Tomorrow is my last day of work until September! Brian's last day of school is tomorrow, too! We can't wait for summer! It's our first summer off together! Leah and I plan on losing 10 pounds each (will keep you updated on that), we plan on purging/deep cleaning our house (and perhaps having a garage sale), and just relaxing and hanging out as a family.

More pictures:








No comments:

Post a Comment