Today is Day Four of Lydia's bad cold. Lydia is not a fun patient to take care. Lydia is tired and I am tired.
How Lydia Handles a Cold:
- She plays and plays until she's too exhausted and then clings to me, while her nose is running and she's starting to feel warm
- She lets her nose just drip down and rarely wants it wiped
- She wants to have her pacifiers with her at all times
- She wants her mommy with her at all times
- She will actually sit on my lap for a whole episode of Sesame Street
- She will only fall asleep if I am holding her or lying next to her
- She wakes up at night about every 2-3 hours, whether I am with her or not (but it's easier to just sleep with her than have to get out of bed)
- She ONLY wants her mommy
- She doesn't eat or drink very much
- She doesn't mind when boogies get on her pacifier
- She's very cuddly
How I Handle Lydia's Cold:
- I sleep with her at night (letting Brian sleep, uninterrupted, in his bed) in the guest room, so I don't have to continually get out of bed
- I let her have her pacifiers throughout the day (although I managed to keep them from her for about 2 hours this morning)
- I give her Tylenol whenever she starts getting fussy (usually within the 4-6 hour range)
- I rock her to sleep
- I sit in her room until she falls asleep for nap
- I sit on the couch with her, watching Sesame Street, instead of cleaning the house
- I hate hearing her cry, so I give into her - constantly
- I don't get anything done around the house, because Lydia wants me with her at all times
- I take a super long, hot shower with Lydia, trying to clear up her nose with the steam from the shower
- I left her with Brian Monday night so I could go to Mentoring Moms
- I left her with Leah Monday so I could go to work (sorry Leah!)
How Brian Handles Lydia's Cold:
- He goes to work and then takes over (to the best of his ability - whatever Lydia's allows) when he comes home
- He sleeps, alone, at night
- He wipes her nose with napkins because he can't find the Boogie Wipes
- He helps me get things I need to take care of Lydia, since Lydia won't let him take care of her
Hopefully Lydia's cold will be gone soon! She seems a bit better today. Her nose isn't as runny and her eyes aren't as watery. She hasn't had a temperature today, although I've given her Tylenol to just make her comfortable. Her cough seems to be getting better. I thought she'd take a great nap this afternoon, but I put her down at 11:45 and she woke up at 12:20! I tried resting with her, but this just woke her up more, so I ended up letting her cry it out, which took about 30 minutes (that girl can cry!)!
Let's hope after a night spent with Lydia coughing and sneezing in my face that I don't catch this cold!
No comments:
Post a Comment