Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I Gave You My Mind Blindly

We had such a great weekend! On Saturday, Brian took Lydia to Gym Class so mom, Leah and I could go to Concordia Lutheran Church's Rummage Sale! It started at 8:30, and we got there around 8:20 - and there was a super long line waiting to get in! By the time we got in, all the good toys (like Little Tikes outdoor stuff, cribs, dressers, etc.) were all taken! Leah was looking for a crib, but managed to get some cute gender-neutral baby clothes. My mom got clothes for Abram, a swimsuit for Lydia, and more toys. I made out with a ton of new summer outfits for Lydia (plus one of those cute swimsuits with the tutu), pants for this Fall, pajamas, and lots of cute shoes! We spent $70 and got a ton of stuff!

The line to get in!

Sunday we went to see Jesus Christ Superstar performed at the Woodlawn Theater downtown. Local singers/actors put on shows there and they're actually really good! I just love JCSS, especially during the Easter season! My little sister, Nellie, watched Lydia and Abram at my house while we were gone. Lydia napped, ate a snack, watched The Wiggles, and played outside. She had a great time with her Aunt and Cousin!
Lydia has been doing so much better with eating table food. She still won't feed herself the table food, but is enjoying trying new things. Today she loved the meatloaf we had for lunch (I was able to sneak some carrots in with the meatloaf), she liked the fruit, but she didn't like the mashed potatoes. For dinner she had our leftover spaghetti from last night, and even tried feeding herself (I couldn't put the food on her tray, she wanted to eat it from the bowl). I'm so excited that she's eating table food now! We're going through baby food jars a lot slower. I still give her Stage 3 fruits and veggies when she doesn't eat enough during meals. She can eat a whole jar of Stage 3 fruit, but not the veggies (fruit is yummier). 

We did two cute activities with the kiddos today that I wanted to share.

Easter Cards:
I wanted the kiddos to make Easter cards to give their parents on Thursday, during our Easter Egg Hunt. I painted one of their feet white and had them stand on construction paper. Then, I painted their thumb white and made their thumbprints into rabbit ears. I cut the foot-bunny out, glued it to cardstock, and put a cottonball for the rabbit's tail. Leah wrote "Some Bunny Loves Me" on the card. Since the kiddos are still pretty young, they needed a lot of assistance with this. We always allow them to paint and draw independently, but for something cute like this, we wanted to "help" them. They like to feel the texture of the paint on their feet (it tickled their toes) and watch their footprint appear on the paper.



Washing Chairs:
We needed to clean the kiddos' chairs, and the kiddos needed to go outside. It was in the 90s today, so we couldn't stay outside very long this afternoon. So, we brought their chairs outside, as well as their outdoor push toys (car, tractor), a bucket of soapy water and some sponges. I put everything in the shade then showed the kiddos how to "wash" their chairs with the sponges. At first, they were more interested in splashing the water in the bucket at each other (while I cleaned the chairs and Leah took pictures), but once the water was dumped out (by one of the kiddos), they started to clean their chairs and toys. This was a great way to keep everyone cool in the heat, and to entertain them while outside. Lydia got soaked because she squeezed her sponge on herself, but it was a great way to keep her cool. The kiddos got a little wet, but not so wet we had to change them when we got inside.
This will be a great activity with Lydia while at home. Just put a bucket of shallow water out on the porch. Provide sponges, cups, spoons, and other toys for her to play with. Also, blowing bubbles while she plays in the water will be fun to! Adding soap isn't recommended if your child will put the water in their mouths. Our kiddos are old enough that they don't do this anymore (we had to take Lydia's sponge away from her). This is a great activity if you're not ready to get the swimsuits out and have a soaking wet child! 


No comments:

Post a Comment