Sunday, March 27, 2011

Are You Certain What You Wish is What You Want?

I just wanted to blog about my day yesterday...and about Lydia, of course.

Yesterday (Saturday), Brian and I both had to wake up at 6:00 with Lydia. Brian had to drive to school to tutor his students. He left around 7:15ish and got back around 11:00. Which left me alone with Lydia in the morning. We both got up early so we could take a shower while one watched Lydia. Usually on Saturdays and Sundays, one of us will get up with Lydia while the other one sleeps in. 
After getting ready, Lydia and I headed off to McDonald's for breakfast. She loves pancakes! She always signs "more" even before she's done with what is in her mouth. She almost ate a whole pancake. She also sampled a hash brown and sipped at apple juice. When we finished, it was almost 8:30, so we didn't have time to go to HEB as planned, but would get to The Little Gym early. Once I made it to Bandera, Lydia was sleeping, so I just kept driving for about 15 minutes and made it to The Little Gym at 8:55.
Lydia loves Gym class! She is now wanting to walk around and explore everything. She looks for my hands, grabs them, and then starts walking, expecting you to follow. She loves the circle time activity (we sang and then walked in a circle) and watching all the other babies. Then we get to explore the Gym on our own. Lydia loves this! She grabbed my hands and headed off. She held onto the low metal bars and started dancing to the music and smiling at the babies. She has a great grip on the high bars. She loves the "cheese" and crawling around on it. She loves just walking around and looking at everything and everyone. She didn't like the "skill of the week", which was to hold onto the high bar and almost flip over. Miss Jenny tried helping her and she got a bit upset - although she smiled at Miss Jenny on our way over. Two weeks ago, she let Miss Jenny help her with a back flip and smiled! We then sat in a circle again and tossed balls around, blew bubbles (Lydia loves bubbles), and sang songs. The Little Gym (though expensive) is so much fun!
I'm hoping Lydia will get over her stranger anxiety with this Gym fun. She's seeing people and babies that she doesn't normally see, and every once in awhile will have to interact with Miss Jenny, the teacher. I hope when she starts walking she'll be willing to explore on her own and not be afraid of the other parents or Miss Jenny. I'm also hoping to meet some new parents, although I'm horrible at starting up conversations and mingling with other people! Blast my shyness!
After The Little Gym, we headed to HEB to get Lydia formula and baby food. She has recently started eating more table food. I gave her some chicken and potatoes the other day and she loved it! But, the baby food is a back up to if she doesn't like the table food or we can't give it to her. After HEB, we came home, I gave her a 4oz bottle, and she fell asleep. She then slept for 3 hours! She was worn out! Brian came home right after I put her down. I then took a 2 hour nap and Brian played his video game. We thought we'd go out to lunch, but when Lydia didn't wake up until 2:00, we decided just to eat at home.
When Lydia finally woke up, we headed off to run our errands. Jasper Fforde's new book, One of Our Thursdays is Missing recently came out so I just had to buy it! I LOVE his books! I am very disappointed in myself for not noticing that he came to Austin a few weeks ago to sign his new book! I saw him 3 years ago and really enjoyed it! As I told Brian last night, I am so glad that I am well-read (thank you AP English), so I get all of Fforde's literature jokes. For example, the "written" Thursday has characters from Crime and Punishment come visit. They can't remember each other's names, who they are, what character does what, etc. I remember when we started reading this book in AP English and my teacher said to keep a list of all the characters handy - with all the variations to their names. Russians go by so many different names! Luckily I listened, or I would have been as lost as the characters in Fforde's book! I love his books mainly because they're about books. Thursday Next can go into books and talk to the characters. In the first book of the series, The Eyre Affair, Edward Rochester jumps out of the book to rescue Thursday, and then she goes into the book to help bring Edward and Jane together at the end! LOVE IT!



Anyway, we also went to Target to get Katie a birthday present and look at above ground pools for our backyard. Then we were off to BabiesRUs to buy a bumper for Lydia's crib - I should have bought one a long time ago. She keeps sticking her arms out of the crib when she sleeps and I'm worried her arms will get stuck! We got the breathable kind, since the reason I didn't get one before is because they don't recommend them for babies (they could suffocate). Then to Michael's. We bought the paper you can print pictures on and iron on to t-shirts for Lydia's birthday outfit.
Then to Katie's birthday! We had a great time and met a lot of new people. Katie had a cook out at my parent's house (both my parents are out of town - don't worry, she got permission). We had hotdogs, hamburgers, and played lots of games! Lydia stayed up until 8:00 - she was in a great mood! I put her to bed upstairs, but she woke up an hour later when the puppies started fighting. She stayed up until we left at 10:00, and then went right to bed when we got home. She woke up at 1:30, but then slept until 6:00. Brian got up with her and she was ready for a nap by 7:30. He came back to bed and she napped until 8:30.
Now we'll be heading to church to help in the nursery, since it's our week and my parent's are gone. This is Lydia's last week in the Bluebonnet Nursery. She'll be moving downstairs to the 9-12 month room next week! I kept her longer upstairs, since my parents work there. I'm not ready for Lydia to grow up...or for this weekend to be over!




No comments:

Post a Comment