Thursday, February 3, 2011

Don't Let It Be Forgot

Day #4 of Lydia's 3:00pm weaning and it's going great! I don't think she really misses it. She gets a bit fussy around 3:30 and I give her a sippy cup of whole milk and she just drinks it down and she's fine!
The only bad thing about weaning is that I think I'm going to miss it. This is probably why many breastfeeding women don't wean until after 12 months! I love the quiet times we have sitting in her room in the glider, especially at bed time. But, we have other times when we cuddle and play, that are still special, too.
Lydia's schedule has changed (as has mine) since I first started posting. Here's are current daily (Mon.-Fri.) schedule - careful, it's a busy one!

6:00 - my alarm goes off. Usually Lydia is awake by now, talking in her crib. She is rarely still asleep. Recently, she has started screaming at 5:45, but I don't get her out of her crib until 6:00.
6:00-6:45 - I get Lydia up, her diaper changed, and nursed. I then get ready for the day while Brian gets her dressed (in clothes I pick out). Brian also gets my lunch ready and in Lydia's bag. Brian leaves at 6:30 and we head out the door at 6:45.
6:45-7:00 - Lydia plays on her own while I set up the center. I check e-mail and facebook on my iPhone.
7:00-7:30 - the children arrive. We usually have 3 or 4 by 7:30. I get breakfast ready and Leah comes out at 7:30. Lydia now eats oatmeal with banana for breakfast and a bit of whole milk in a sippy cup.
7:30-8:30 - play time. Our 5th kiddo usually arrives around this time.
8:30-9:30 - Lydia nurses and falls asleep. She usually sleeps about a half hour to an hour (depending on how loud the kiddos are). They kids have snack at 9:00, while Lydia has snack when she wakes up from nap. I usually give her Lil' Crunchies, a cracker or a jar of fruit. 
9:30-10:00 - play time.
10:00-10:45 - we usually go outside, weather permitting. Lydia loves playing outside! If it is too cold, or rainy, we do a directed activity. Lydia participates in everything. She has painted, colored with crayons, played in the water table, popped bubble wrap, danced, watched bubbles - everything!
10:45-11:00 - we read books. I have recently started letting the kids take turns picking out books. They love deciding what book to read. Lydia sits with us, although she isn't too interested in books, yet.
11:00-11:20 - lunch time. The kiddos are all sitting at the table eating "real" food. Lydia sits in the highchair and has a veggie or fruit, and sometimes a meat. She isn't a fan of the jarred meats, so I'm just going to stick with the veggies and fruit. She can eat a whole jar of 2nd foods, sometimes a whole jar and a 1/2 of something else. She has some whole milk with lunch.
11:20-12:00 - Leah and I eat lunch while the kids play. They are always in a good mood after a yummy meal! Lydia loves watching the kids play, although sometimes I have to save her, since they have started pushing her, sitting on her, or just getting up in her face too much.
12:00-12:15 - circle time. Lydia loves the songs we sing (Jesus Loves Me, Wheels on the Bus, Itsy Bitsy Spider, etc). We also go over where our eyes, ears, nose and mouth are. We do Ring Around the Rosy, The Duke of York, stomp our feet, turn around and wiggle! Then, we read a book. I nurse Lydia while Leah reads to the kids.
12:15-12:30 - I pat the boys down for nap. Lydia plays quietly (sometimes) while I pat the boys down.
12:30-2:00 - I rock Lydia to sleep and put her in the crib in the back room. She is good at sleeping an hour and a half. The boys are real good sleepers, so I get about an hour nap in, as well!
2:00-2:30 - the kids wake up and we give snack. Lydia gets a yogurt and water. 
2:30-3:15 - we go outside, weather permitting. If we don't get to go out, we do a directed activity around 3:00. Today we did dancing, bubbles, and then stacking blocks.
3:15-4:00 - play time. This is the time Lydia starts getting fussy for her nursing. I sit her in the highchair and give her a sippy of milk. This usually makes her happy and she plays until 4:00.
4:00-4:30 - snack time and more play. Lydia has a cracker or two for snack. The kids play again and some are picked up.
4:30-5:00 - Lydia starts getting fussy and I try to put her down for a nap. She usually doesn't go because the kids are being noisy and she wants to join in. I want her to rest so she can be happier when she gets home, but oh well.
5:00-5:30 - Brian comes between these times to give Lydia dinner (usually a veggie or fruit and milk). He then plays with her (Mon, Thurs and Fri). The other kids love to watch Brian play and he has fun with them. Usually Lydia is in a good enough mood to laugh and play with him. Sometimes, not so much. I use this time to start cleaning the toys and the center.
5:30-6:00 - I play with Brian and Lydia. I get to leave at 6:00, since I came in at 6:45. Leah stays until the last kiddo leaves (usually before 6:30).
6:00-6:30 - Lydia sometimes gets a bath. She is changed and gets ready for bed. I nurse her and she falls fast asleep. Brian is making dinner while I put Lydia to bed.

It's definitely a busy day, but everything usually goes smoothly. The kiddos usually don't drive us too crazy and we get some breaks when they play independently well. Sometimes there are fights that we have to break up, sometimes we have to put a child in time out. But, most days are good ones. Lydia loves watching her friends play. She has started crawling around (pulling herself on her tummy) after them and laughing. She likes to join in on their playtime and activities. She loves to stand at the shelves and cruise. She has started getting upset when a friend takes her toys, but she has also started taking toys!
The weekends are quieter, but we still like to go on adventures to keep Lydia busy. Brian and I still switch days on who gets to wake up at 6:00 with Lydia. I love it when I get to sleep in until 8:30 or 9:00! Brian is so good with her in the mornings. She loves playing with him!

Lydia, November 2010.

Lydia, February 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment