Thursday, September 10, 2015

Sir, Reporting High Levels of Sass!

Life Lately

Yesterday was my first day back working at the Preschool. I absolutely love teaching preschool music - it's really the only reason I'm still working there. My piano business has been flourishing and it's really my main income now. But, I continue to work at the Preschool because (1) I love teaching music, (2) I love teaching preschoolers, and (3) I really love working with all the ladies there. It truly is an amazing Preschool program - and I'm not just saying that. Even if I didn't work there, I would want my kids to go there! Lydia totally loved the program and loves seeing all the teachers.

After not teaching music since the end of April, I forgot how repetitive it can be. There are nine classes (with about 10 kids in each class), and I teach each class for 20 minutes. I do basically the same lesson each time (sometimes changing it up a bit for the younger ones and then again for the older ones). Yesterday, I probably sang the same song about 90 times. Yeah...that gets kind of old. But, the kids had fun and really enjoyed my lesson.
I'm always a little bit nervous/anxious when it comes to the first few weeks of preschool. Some of the kids aren't even three yet (they have to be three by December), or have never been in a school situation before. They don't know what I mean by "sit on a dot" or "keep your hands to yourself" or "please don't run around the classroom". But, overall, this year's group of kids are starting off amazing and I'm looking forward to the rest of the school year!

Lydia has now been dropped off twice at the front of the school and walked into the cafeteria by herself. I suggested that on Wednesdays (when I have to work and Gideon has to go to BSF) I will drop her off at the front, but all the other days I can walk her in. Well, it must have gone so well yesterday that she wanted to do it again today! It's definitely very bittersweet. And I get home a lot faster!
This morning we had a bit of a struggle over shoes. Lydia wanted to try something different - not just her usual pink dressy shoes. She first put on cute pink sandals. Then decided to wear her silver sparkly shoes. While in the car (almost to school), she decided she didn't want those shoes. Oh well. Too bad. I almost thought about dropping her off, getting her pink shoes, and bringing them to the school. But decided against it. She has learned her lesson. (Although I remember having my mom bring me a change of socks once....hmm)

Gideon has not been napping well...but at least he still sleeps most of the night. Last night he slept from about 7:30 to 6:30 (with a little wake up at 5:55). I've been having to put him down for naps in his bouncer (but he will only sleep about 40 minutes) or in the K'tan during piano lessons (once again, for only about 40 minutes). I just now forced him to sleep in his crib. He has to cry in order to go to sleep, which is sad. He won't just let me rock him to sleep or pat him to sleep. He will just roll over, smile, and start talking. It can be frustrating. Which is why I learned to just leave him. When he's ready to finally go to sleep, he will. And he did. Hopefully he will sleep until a little after 2:00 and will be in a good mood (and ready for a nap - in the K'tan) for piano lessons.






No comments:

Post a Comment